Standard Gages

A colleague just asked me a question for which I had no answer. Is there any
sort of officially adopted US reference standard that defines gage thickness
for sheet metal? There is a table in the back of the AISC steel manual that
provides conversions, and lots of other tables in reference books, but I
could not find an ASTM, ISO or any other "official" document on the Internet
that sets a standard for gage thickness. There was once a federal
specification GG-G-86C dealing with this but it was canceled in 1996 and as
far as I know never replaced.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
Earth Tech, Inc.

10800 NE 8th Street - 7th Floor