Re: Factory Mutual - open web Joist spacing

John,

FM does have limitation on span of metal deck versus gage and deck profile for each metal deck manufacturer if I am not mistaken, which does impact the allowable spacing of the bar-joist.  You may want to  discuss with your client if they want to negociate with FM about their policy restrictions related to the roof deck span.  If your client pays large premiums a year to FM, FM might be willing to negociate with them about their restrictions (obviously FM doesn't want lose the insurance premiums), especially if you can demonstrate that the building is not located in a high wind region.

I haven't done this personally, but I have heard second hand that there are companies out there that negociate their insurance premiums with FM.  FM may be willing to insure a portion of the building, and possibly exclude the roof, etc.

Michael Cochran