Re: LFRS analysis programs

A late response to Bill's(?) question regarding LFRS analysis programs for wood framing. I wrote my own spreadsheet program, used Keylat, and now use Woodworks. As long as your walls are 6' or more in length, assuming that stiffness is directly proportional to length x capacity is pretty accurate (with the same kind of sheathing)--that's what Woodworks does. Keylat is almost impossible to use but Woodworks is fairly easy ( and no canned program I've seen handles non orthogonal walls). The big advantage of this kind of program is that you get a good look at a boundary solution ( although I use the rigid results almost exclusively). Woodworks does allow for the input on user defined wall stiffness when you need to do that.

It adds a little bit of time to the analysis, and sometimes a little to the construction costs, but the CUREE program seems to be telling us that we aren't nearly as smart as we think when it comes to shearwall design (mainly in the reliability area). I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I seem to be cost competitive with engineers who just do a simple flexible distribution.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.