Re: slab-on-grade question

In Florida, I am not familiar with slab on grades without reinforcment, as a minimum wire mesh.  The footings are monolithic with the slabs, even at 2 story homes.

John

----- Original Message -----
From: CLaines(--nospam--at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 1:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: slab-on-grade question

Anyone familiar with mass housing (tract homes) construction in Florida or Utah I need your help.
Is it common that slabs-on-grade in these two states are constructed without any steel reinforcing (welded wire fabric or rebar)? Also are they constructed with monolithic thickened edges or are they constructed with separate perimeter footings and floating interior slabs?
Thanks for any input.
Charles Laines, S.E.
Long Beach, California