Re: Have you heard of watering your foundation?

I live in Dallas and "Yes" you do need to maintain moisture around the slab. We have highly expansive clay soils here and if you don't water the foundation (put water into the soil around the foundation) you will get shifts in the soil that cause cracks in the concrete.

For the same reason, you don't want to plant large trees or shrubs near the foundation. I have been told that a 30 ft oak tree can take as much as 200 gallons of water out of the soil each day during our hot summer season.

It is a bit of a dichotomy. You want to slope the soil away from the foundation to avoid excessive water buildup, but you need to water the foundation during the dry months. Go figure.

Jay Shilstone