Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Openings in Existing Masonry[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "SEAOC List" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Openings in Existing Masonry
- From: "Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net>
- Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:22:07 -0800
What is the consensus regarding reinforcing around an opening cut into an existing concrete masonry wall? (fairly new construction, not URM) I am considering small openings less than four feet.
The code requirement for steel around the opening extending beyond is empirical, and is for all four sides. I have seen angles top and bottom with one leg cut away extending beyond the opening both with and without a vertical member each side as well as inset frames without extension beyond the opening.
Any input regarding current practice, or alternate methods?
- Prev by Subject: RE: Open Web Joists/Girders
- Next by Subject: RE: Openings in Existing Masonry
- Previous by thread: Re: To Carl Sramek: Re: A new angle on "Sliding"
- Next by thread: RE: Openings in Existing Masonry