Openings in Existing Masonry

What is the consensus regarding reinforcing around an opening cut into an existing concrete masonry wall?  (fairly new construction, not URM)  I am considering small openings less than four feet.

The code requirement for steel around the opening extending beyond is empirical, and is for all four sides.  I have seen angles top and bottom with one leg cut away extending beyond the opening both with and without a vertical member each side as well as inset frames without extension beyond the opening.

Any input regarding current practice, or alternate methods?