Re: Have you heard of watering your foundation?

Bruce,

Dry over consolidated, dessicated, unsaturated soils which are yet another names of the Expansive/Swelling Soils do need to be tamed; one way is by keeping the moisture balance in such soils beneath or around foundations. This is achieved sometimes by watering, in a trickilng fashion, the soils per se.

But, if you have designed your foundations to be stiff/rigid enough to resist heaving (due to swelling of soils beneath foundations) you probably don't need to do that.

Here in Saudi Arabia, some parts of the country also have expansive soils. In one of our projects in HOFUF, the eastern part of the Kingdom, we have used the B.R.A.B design manual (I developed a spread sheet using the B.R.A.B design sequence logic) to design & build the Stiffened Slab Waffle Foundation for as many as 56 nos. of facilities out of a total 228 facilities. Such foundation systems have seen through as many as six rainy seasons and are doing fine so far. Iam told (and also as I have confirmed by browsing through various literatures/references on the subject) Saudi Arabia (reference to this particular project) is probably only the third country in the world, after USA & Australia, where Stiffened Slab Waffle Foubndation System (using principles of B.R.A.B manual) has been used to exclusively address the Expansive Soils problem beneath the foundations. Is this correct or we have examples of some more countries around the world employing Stiffened Slab Waffle Foundation System  (using B.R.A.B) for the same purpose?

Any input on the same would be appreciated. Regards,

Syed faiz Ahmad; MEngg, M.ASCE

Senior Structural Engineer

Saudi Oger Ltd,

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********