gratings

Ref: Mails from Samir Shah and Kenneth S peoples.
================================
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 1:48 PM
Subject: Floor grating
> Dear Members,
> I want to replace the wooden planks with floor
grating in our
industrial
> plants.
> The atmosphere in the plant in highly corrosive.
> I have decided to use welded bar grating with GI
finish instead of
FRP for
> cost reasons.
>
> What are the drawbacks for this decision ? What
precautions to be
taken ?

> Thanks in advance
>
> Samir Shah
=============================

I would like to know more
about
the "GI" finish though.  What is it?
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
===================
Ken,
In India GI is a popular  abbreviation for Galvanized
Iron.
Perhaps a "GI finish" means  galvanized gratings or
perhaps painted in a colour that makes it resemble
Galvanized Iron finish. Maybe Samir Shah can clarify.
===================

Samir,
If planks had served the purpose earlier, the platform
is perhaps only lightly loaded.
If you are replacing planks by gratings, choose the
lightest grating available for economy. Gratings are
much stronger than planks and the weight will range
from about 35 kg/sq metre to 50 kg/sq metre depending
on the sizes and thicknesses of the flats used. Ready
made gratings are available in standard sizes. Does
your floor beam arrangement permit using these
standard sizes? Or else customized fabrication will be
necessary to suit the floor layout.

With gratings, there is one problem which is worth
taking note of. If there is spillage on the floor, it
drops down to the floor below. This does not happen in
case of chequered plates or planks or concrete slabs.
Floor washing will cause all the dirty water to spill
on the floors, people, and equipment below.

On the other hand gratings allow better floor to floor
air circulation inside the building. Planks and
chequeured plates seal off one floor from another.

But better air circulation may come with attendant
problems. If instead of air, fumes are generated,
gratings will allow these fumes and odours to permeate
the building.

Normally this decision (gratings or planks/chequered
plates/slabs) is taken by a technologist based on
functional and technological requirements. If you are
a structural engineer and not a technologist, do seek
confirmation before proceeding.

Regards
G Vishwanath
Bangalore, India