Re: Openings in Existing Masonry

Martin,

How do you comply with this for existing masonry?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 3:51 PM
Subject: RE: Openings in Existing Masonry

Paul,  I hope this helps...Recently, we have had several requests to enlarged openings in concrete walls (mainly to meet the egress requirement) in residential one and two family dwellings.  I believe we require two # 5's around all window and door openings, extending beyond the corners at least 24".  Reference 1994 UBC 1914.3.7         This is seismic zone 4.  I'm curious to read what other parts of the country do...  Martin