Bar versus wire

What is the difference between specifying bar versus wire,   i.e. a #5 versus D31 wire (same size).  If you specify D31 wire,  do you get it in a coil,  like what they fabricate the bars from?

What is the advantage of specifying D31 wire when it is something like a 10 ft length?

I am trying to make sense out of something I am reading ...it pertains to research for bridge design.

Gail S. Kelley