From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 11:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel Dome Deisgn

Christopher,
When I think of a steel dome, I think of a framed assembly of ribs and
rings as shown in figures 5a and 5b on this web site:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/eng/research/ems/ssrc/intro.htm#taught
programmes

For a dome such as this, with discrete elements such as wide flange
ribs, instead of true shell elements, do you think shell theory is the
way to go? It seems like there would be a lot of extrapolating required
to go from shell theory to a system of ribs and rings.

Like Rob who asked the original question, I have looked for references
on this sort of steel dome design, thinking there must be a book out
there somewhere but I couldn't find any good references either. I would
also be interested if someone knows of any design-oriented references on
the subject.

Thanks,

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC

Christopher Wright wrote:

> >Does anyone know of any good references specifically for steel dome
> >structures?
> You'll probably need to get comfortable with the mechanics of plates
and
> shells and biaxial stress fields. Suggest you link to the Linda Hall
> Engineering Library or your large university library of choice and do
> couple of searches on books for plates and shells for references. The
> prime referemce is Timoshenko's _Plates and Shells_ but you'll find
> others listed when you do the library search. When you find one that
> sounds right, shop around at second-hand book dealers web sites for
the
> titles you like. You may still be able to get a publication of the
AISI