Re: Steel Dome Deisgn

>For a dome such as this, with discrete elements such as wide flange
>ribs, instead of true shell elements, do you think shell theory is the
>way to go?
My mistake. When I think of a dome I think of a shell structure like the
Pantheon. The gridded structures are actually space frames. Shell theory
wouldn't apply unless you closed off the surface and expected the shelI
portion to carry load.

I suspect that shell theory was the starting point when Buckminster
Fuller designed the first geodesic dome because these framed structures
actually mimic the behavior of shell structures in that each element is
subject to biaxial loading. This diagrams on the web page look way slick,
and I bet you could get a handle on loading requirements for individual
elements by calculating membrane loadings as if they were shells and then
applying the loading thus calculated to individual members and cells.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw