Bar versus Wire

I've always assumed this stock (deformed wire) was
used for automated production of stirrups, ties, etc.
by rebar fabricators.  You don't need someone feeding
stock to the bender, you just load a new spool of wire
when the last one is finished (using a forklift, I
suppose).  I have a hard time envisioning a couple of
ironworkers unrolling some number 5 bar into a form.

Gil Brock's post kind of worries me, though.  Does
this ASTM deal with elongation?  I'd be curious to
know if we might be getting shear stirrups with only a
quarter the ductility we think they have.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota