RE: Grout under base plate

>The gap under some base plates in one of our jobs
>will be from 0 to 2" due to concrete (mis)placement.
>Columns are designed as pinned and some of them
>have bracings (for seismic zone 3 and wind). Base
>plates are welded to columns. What kind of grout
>do you specify for gaps less than 1/2"?(For gaps
>between 1/2" and 2" I am going to use a cementitious
>non-shrinking grout, like Five Star) Any other
>concerns? I'll appreciate all comments.

I don't think the grout type would have to change. AISC and ACI have similar
provisions for pier design with provisions that reduce strength in bearing
when the dimensions around the base plate restrict the compression from
spreading in the concrete (grout) at 45 degrees outward. In the AISC
Specification, look at the end of Chapter J and note the A1 and A2 variables
in compressive strength. ACI has similar provisions and probably cover the
issues in more depth.

If there is a shear force and the rods are used to resist it, watch out for
the addition/increase in the bending component. That could significantly
reduce the strength of the rods to resist shear and/or tension.

Charlie