Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:25:54 -0800
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: LFRS analysis programs

A late response to Bill's(?) question regarding LFRS analysis programs
for wood framing.  I wrote my own spreadsheet program, used Keylat, and
now use Woodworks. As long as your walls are 6' or more in length,
assuming that stiffness is directly proportional to length x capacity is
pretty accurate (with the same kind of sheathing)--that's what Woodworks
does. Keylat is almost impossible to use but Woodworks is fairly easy (
and no canned program I've seen handles non orthogonal walls).  The big
advantage of  this kind of program is that you get a good look at a
boundary solution ( although I use the rigid results almost
exclusively).  Woodworks does allow for the input on user defined wall
stiffness when you need to do that.

It adds a little bit of time to the analysis, and sometimes a little to
the construction costs, but the CUREE program seems to be telling us
that we aren't nearly as smart as we think when it comes to shearwall
design (mainly in the reliability area). I'd rather be safe than sorry,
and I seem to be cost competitive with engineers who just do a simple
flexible distribution.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.