From: Rob Still [mailto:robs(--nospam--at)adcengrg.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 12:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Dome Design

Thanks for the previous input.

As Rick noted, the dome I am working on is actually a "steel framed" dome
rather than a plate shell element.  Basically, it is a small coliseum type
structure (approximately 200 feet in width), essentially rectangular in
shape with a semicircle at each end.  The roof will be dome shaped all
around and barrel-vaulted at the rectangular portion.  One issue we are
dealing with concerns restraining the thrust at the rectangular portion
without assistance from a bottom chord / tension element.  Obviously we
would need to develop a rigid frame system of some type, but I feel 200' is
starting to stretch it and will to create some excessive amounts of steel.
As always, cost are efficiency are paramount to the owner, so I'm just
trying to see if anyone has any thoughts / experience that may be of
assistance.  To make matters worse we are in a seismic and hurricane prone
region.

There is a possibility that the rectangular portion may be modified into
somewhat of a circular shape which introduces the question of at what point
can we begin to rely on a tension ring to restrain the thrust.

Again, any assistance or insight into design possibilities and references
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Still.