Re: Lt Gage Steel

> From: "Gerard Madden, PE" <gmadden(--nospam--at)attbi.com>

> AISI now sells something called "NORTH AMERICAN SPECIFICATION FOR THE
> DESIGN OF COLD-FORMED STEEL STRUCTURAL MEMBERS, 2001 EDITION; AND THE
> COMMENTARY ON THE SPECIFICATION, 2001 EDITION
> <http://odin.syscomsrv.com/aisishop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=52&pf%5Fid=SG0
> 2%2D1%2B+SG02%2D2&top%5Fdept%5Fid=2005> "
>
> Is this replacing the 1996 manual? Any other must haves for Lt Gage

Yes. This replaces the 1996 spec. I believe that Mexico was using the
AISI 1996 standard and Canada's CSA S136-94 was close enough that there
was only minor tweaking in both directions. Some issues were not
resolved so the standard provides parallel analysis direction showing
the divergence. The standard is laid out in a way that makes it easy for
any designer to analyse for each of the NAFTA countries.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the N.A. standard is written to be
independent of SI vs US customary (e.g. no embedded units), which is
essential to avoid planetary-probe-like fiascos.  ;)

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International