Re: Lt Gage Steel

Gerard,

        I understand, rightly or wrongly, that Dr. R. M. Schuster, of University of Waterloo, in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, has been instrumental in the development of light gage metal codes in both Canada and U.S.A.  Dr. Schuster has also developed computer programs for determining element capacities and he offers these programs for sale.  You might contact him for additional information.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

"Gerard Madden, PE" wrote:

I am about to buy the ?code? from AISI for Lt Gage steel. I know there is the 1996 manual with errattas and supplements. I?d rather not waste my money on that due to the reasons mentioned earlier with the annoyance of the 1997 aisc seismic with the supplements.

AISI now sells something called ?NORTH AMERICAN SPECIFICATION FOR THE DESIGN OF COLD-FORMED STEEL STRUCTURAL MEMBERS, 2001 EDITION; AND THE COMMENTARY ON THE SPECIFICATION, 2001 EDITION?

Is this replacing the 1996 manual? Any other must haves for Lt Gage design you?d recommend? I see they have some pubs on trusses, headers. Any good detailing manuals/books anyone care to share?

Also, does anyone know of a good program that will calculate built-up section properties of cold-formed shapes?

TIA,

-gerard

Santa Clara, CA