From: Michael Hemstad [mailto:mlhemstad(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 1:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Dome Design

As Jim K. noted, you could build buttresses to resist
the thrust from arches.  However, a buttress like this
of any height is going to be really expensive.
Besides, an arch 200 feet long is going to have to be
pretty stiff to resist partial loading, so you are
probably going to end up with a trussed design anyway.
 It might as well just be a truss.  It could be a
parallel-chord curved truss, to satisfy your client's
desire for something that looks like an arch.  Or it
could be a bowstring, to satisfy your client's need to
save money.

I wonder if Vulcraft or Canam could fabricate
something like this for you.  They know a lot about
design and fabrication economies.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota