HSS Weld Splice

Could we get a full penetration weld splice between 2 HSS, say, of the same size? I'm planning to recommend that the shop provide a circular backing bar which will be left in place when the welding is completed. We are doing this because the full length we need is not available.
Any thoughts? Thanks!