From: Will H [mailto:haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 2:56 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Expansion and seismic joints

Should you allow enough of a gap in a roof thermal expansion joints (example
in single story metal deck) to satisfy the seismic joint  requirement as
well. I don't usually see this done. Since the buildings are acting
separately perpendicular to the joint, I think a seismic joint would be
required.
  Also, is a seismic joint required when 2 buildings that have the same
period are next to each other. For example, I am separating 2 buildings by a
firewall. Each building butting up against the wall and not connected. If
each building is moving at the same period, can they still theoretically
smash together in an earthquake?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org