Continuous Beams in Residential Construction

I have run into situations, particularly in house construction, where continuous beams of unequal length have been
used.  Where there is a long span and a short span, you usually get a kick-up (uplift) at the end of the short
span.  Unless you can hold the beam end down, you get a bump in the floor.  Consequently, I try to avoid these
particular continuous beams.

I read somewhere once, that to help avoid this situation, the continuous beam spans should not vary by more than
15%.  I would like to find that piece of literature again.  Can anybody help me with this?  Unfortunately, I don't
remember if it was Canadian or American.

Thanks,
Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON