Re: SEGMENTAL RETAINING WALL USED FOR DE

Helen,

At a presentation on segmental retaining walls several years ago, the speaker
extolled at great length the virtues of his system.  At the end, when he
invited questions from the audience, I asked:  "I don't know of any system
where there are not some problems.  What problems should we look out for with
your system?"

His initial reply was, "You have to ask the right questions."  Then I think
that he had second thoughts about that answer and proceeded to list a litany
of things that must be properly addressed to ensure good performance and
adequate anchorage of the segmental blocks, including, IIRC, the proper pH of
the soil being retained.

I think that what you should do is to contact the provider ofthe proprietary
retaining wall system and ask, "What problems does your system have and what
needs to be done to avoid them?"  And don't accept any answer that implies
that there are no problems.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona