From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 9:32 AM
To: SEAOC Newsletter
Subject: Fracture in concrete

This is a curiosity question for any concrete guru with a few minutes to

kill. . I don't do structural concrete and I'm enough ignorant on the
topic so I still use 'pour' for 'place' and 'cement mixer' for 'concrete

hauler.'

There are inquiries from time to time on a FEA list I frequent from
people looking to do cracked sections with FEA, and I got curious
whether
these guys are just student newbies in a FEA course or whether there's
active research in fracture mechanics of concrete.

What's the current practice on figuring the strength and ultimate
capacity of cracked beams?

 Is fracture mechanics used? (I was taught to use the uncracked section
in my only exposure to design in concrete, but that doesn't square with
what I know (a fair amount) about fracture propagation and critical
crack
length.)

Is reinforcing considered to arrest cracks? (Pretensioning probably
will,
but what happens to cracks in non pretensioned structures.)

How is fatigue cracking or propagation of shrinkage cracks considered?

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw