Re: Continuous Beams in Residential Construction

I don't think my original message was sent.  Sorry if this is a re-post...

A span up to 50% shorter than the longest span should not present problems with uplift for uniform loading.  I have not been able to find a specific document that addresses this.  However, most engineered wood manufacturers publish literature on their products and allow differences of 50% or more; I'd be glad to point you to a few eng. wood sites for some confirmation of the 50%.  Alternatively, ASD (and others) publish equations for non-uniform span lengths and can be calculated by hand.  I don't believe there is a specific number that can be used, but from my experience 50% has been safe.

Tim Allison

>>> ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com 11/25/02 09:54AM >>>
I have run into situations, particularly in house construction, where continuous beams of unequal length have been
used.  Where there is a long span and a short span, you usually get a kick-up (uplift) at the end of the short
span.  Unless you can hold the beam end down, you get a bump in the floor.  Consequently, I try to avoid these
particular continuous beams.

I read somewhere once, that to help avoid this situation, the continuous beam spans should not vary by more than
15%.  I would like to find that piece of literature again.  Can anybody help me with this?  Unfortunately, I don't
remember if it was Canadian or American.

Thanks,
Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp