Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings
- From: "Haan Scott M DPW CIVIL ENGR(n)" <scott.haan(--nospam--at)richardson.army.mil>
- Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:07:09 -0000
Title: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings
97 UBC Figure 23-II-1 says that you can reduce shear wall height to width ratios if you detail force transfer around openings. Design guide examples I have seen do not use interior anchors and so have alot more involved design of the filler panels and "panel zones". It seems to meet the intent of the code when uplift anchors are used next to openings [with full height nailing based unit shears from horizontal pier lengths] and when only horizontal shear transfer has to be detailed above and below openings. It seems conservative and to meet the intent of the code, to use horizontal drag struts in the wall above and below wall openings and to design overturning restraint the traditional way ignoring filler panels [nail the whole animal based on the peir unit shear].
It also seems pointless, with the previously mentioned method, to assume filler point inflection points if the filler panels are not going to loaded vertically because of holdowns each side of openings especially if you edge nail vertical edges, horizontal edges, holdown posts, and horizontally at reinforcement above and below openings based on peir lengths.
How are other places handling this? Is everyone just using 2:1 full height walls? Are there any good convincing published design examples floating around out there for people that are dim like me? Thanks.
Scott M. Haan P.E.
Public Works, Engineering Department
Fort Richardson, Alaska
Haan Scott M DPW CIVIL ENGR(n).vcf
Description: Binary data
- Prev by Subject: Re: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings
- Next by Subject: RE: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings
- Previous by thread: Re: Re:3-hinged arch w/ NO tension ties - how?
- Next by thread: RE: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings