From: Markajohn(--nospam--at)cs.com [mailto:Markajohn(--nospam--at)cs.com]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 9:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Hello,

I have an analysis problem that must be fairly common.

I am analyzing some existing connections of W18 and larger collectors
into
columns.  They are one-sided plate connections with connection plate
held by
stiffeners on top and bottom similar to Fig. 10-25 on page 10-158 and
Fig.
10-28 on page 10-159 of the 3rd ed AISC LRFD manual.  The difference is
that
with my connections, there would be a large axial load in the beams as
well
as gravity loads.

The design would need to take into account beam-end rotation like Table
X in
the old ASD 9th ed, but also account for the axial loads.  In addition,
the
governing limit state must be ductile because I am in Seismic Zone 4.

I haven't seen a design procedure that address this situation.  I would
appreciate any Ideas on procedures or approaches

TIA
Mark Johnson PE