RE: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Doesn't that reduce rotational ductility?  Also, if a single row of bolts was
sufficient (such as with many shear connections), wouldn't it be better to make
do with one row of bolts, and check the eccentric and non-vertical load on the
bolts for governing load cases?

As for ductile failure, is it possible to create create ductile failure in the
connection extention of the welded plate due to axial load?  Presuming block
shear can be avoided, this seems the most obvious weak point to establish the
ductile failure mode.

That said, I've taken the approach Gerard suggests myself, though not in Zone
4.

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock, Arkansas