Re: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Collectors should not be designed for ductile limit states.  They should be
designed for omega-sub-zero forces.  Reference  1997 UBC, Sec. 1633.2.6 or
2000 IBC Sec. 1620.1.6.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                      Markajohn(--nospam--at)cs.com
                      11/25/02 09:40 PM        To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   cc:

                                               Subject:  Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Hello,

I have an analysis problem that must be fairly common.

I am analyzing some existing connections of W18 and larger collectors into
columns.  They are one-sided plate connections with connection plate held
by
stiffeners on top and bottom similar to Fig. 10-25 on page 10-158 and Fig.
10-28 on page 10-159 of the 3rd ed AISC LRFD manual.  The difference is
that
with my connections, there would be a large axial load in the beams as well

as gravity loads.

The design would need to take into account beam-end rotation like Table X
in
the old ASD 9th ed, but also account for the axial loads.  In addition, the

governing limit state must be ductile because I am in Seismic Zone 4.

I haven't seen a design procedure that address this situation.  I would
appreciate any Ideas on procedures or approaches

TIA
Mark Johnson PE

the views of the company.