From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 10:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: GLB allowable stress

Yi,

IIRC, CS253 was the predecessor to the AITC 119 standards.  For 1970
GLBs,
you need to know the lamination combinations.

For DF-L combination A (a very commonly specified combination) from
Table
25-C, 1970 UBC:

   E = 1,800,000 psi
   Fb = 2400 psi
   Ft = 1600 psi
   Fc parallel = 1500 psi
   Fc perp = 450 psi
   Fh (shear) = 165 psi

For combination B, Fb = 2200 psi (all other values remain unchanged) For
combination C, Fb = 2000 psi (all other values remain unchanged)

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Yi Yang wrote:

. > I have an old drawing of a wood framed roof plan.  It calls for GLB
. > 5.125 x 24 beams.  The notes said "GLB... shall be manufactured in .
> accordance with commercial standard CS-253".  The building is circa .
> 1970.  Anyone know how I can find out what was the allowable stress on
. > those GLB beams?  Thanks.