Re: wood panel wall aspect ratios: shear transfer around openings

In a message dated 11/26/2002 10:36:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, Chuck
Utzman writes:

Ben's understanding of the method is incorrect. His suggestion (and
yours) creates a statically indeterminant system in which the relative
deflections of tiedowns, shearpanels, and strapping would determine the
internal load distribution--something well beyond our meager design
capabilities

Chuck

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I have no idea what you are alluding
to based on my suggestion. The fact is that the only rationale for Figure
23-II-1, was to provide an alternate method for determining the aspect ratio
of the wall. (Just read the title for the figure and Section 2315.1.2).
Whatever else that has been thrown into this simplification of aspect ratio,
such as the statics of spandrels, could be valid. However, if you decide to
make rocket science out of the design of a wood structural panel, that is
made up of so many pieces and subject to so much uncertainty in
construction, that is your choice. In my opinion, if you design the piers to
take all the shear per table 23-II-I-1 and design each panel for overturning
independently, you've addressed the major issues. After that, analyzing the
heck out of the spandrels is an exercise in futility.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA