Re: WANTED: Concrete Column Analysis & Design Software Recommendations

Bill,

I don't know if it will do what you want, but RAM Advanse does have some
fairly nice concrete design features.  I have not used them too much, so I
don't have a full comfort level with them (I don't tend to like computer
software for concrete design), but one company that I worked at had
"tested" the feature and it seemed to work well.  The program will even
create the "detail" drawings (i.e. elevations and plans showing the
longitudinal bars and stirrups/ties).  And you also get a fairly nice
analysis package...which you probably don't need.  I doubt it is in your
under $500 price range.

Another option is RISA.  The next version will supposedly have concrete
beam and column analysis and it supposedly will be out shortly (and yes, I
see your hand up because you have heard that before).  I have even had one
person imply that the new version is already available, but I
cannot confirm that on the RISA web page.

A last option is Enercalc.  It does contain a concrete column design
module.  I have used in the past a couple of times for a "pre-design" of a
column.  The only real problem that I would see for you would be that I
believe it only does rectangular and circular columns.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI