Re: Off Topic - Hard Drive Cleanup Software

A few years ago, I had to look into DOE (not DOD) policy on this issue.  At the time, the only acceptable way to erase a hard drive was to push it into a grinding wheel. Since hard drives are cheap these days anyway, that's probably a reasonable approach.

Be advised, I don't know what DOE allows nowadays.

----- Original Message -----
From: "vlad"
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:57:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Off Topic - Hard Drive Cleanup Software

Erasing data doesn't erase data.  It only erases the file entries.
Even reformatting and re-installing everything doesn't help,  there will be still data on the hard disk which can be retrieved.
There is software which erase (actually overwrites) the whole hard drive.  But I don't know if it's worth the price.

Regards,
Vlad
simina(--nospam--at)idirect.com