From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: November 27, 2002 13:55
Subject: Re: Off Topic - Hard Drive Cleanup Software

> Dave,
>
> Ah, no.  Sorry to be so blunt, but initializing or reformating the hard
> drive will NOT get ride of those deleted but not completely removed files.
>
> While there are some types of formating that will do this, the "basic"
> formating that is done from within Windoze (i.e. "Format..." from the
> "File" menu in the Windoze Explorer) or within the Mac OS (i.e. "Erase
> Disk..." from the "Special" menu in the Finder in Mac OS 9), etc. will
> only erase the file allocation table (i.e. the table of contents) of the
> drive.  All the files will remain on the disk just there will be
> nothing that "points" to them making it minimumally more difficult to
> retrieve them.  But programs like Norton Utilities can still retreieve
> those files with relative ease, at least until you start putting new files
> on the drive which will overright those old files.
>
> Some "low-level" formats WILL do a better job of what you are thinking.  I
> will be honest though...I don't recall if FDISK (the standard Microsoft
> low-level formatter) does a "full" job of it or not.
>
> That is why you essentially need something that overrights those files
> that no longer has a "pointer" to it.  This can be done in the simplest
> terms by just filling up the hard drive with "useless" files but this
> requires some effort on your part.  That is where the utilities mentioned
> come in...those utilities essentially "wipe information" by writing
> useless "junk" to those areas where the files with no "pointers" exist.
>
> HTH,
>
> Scott
> Ypsilanti, MI
>

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, D.A. wrote:
>
> > Dave
> > just format the hard drive
> >
> > Dave A.
> >

> >   I'm going to switch some computers around between my office and my
house.  I want to make sure there are not remnants of financial or client
data left on the hard drives to surface down the road, especially if we
later donate the computers to others.  Can anyone recommend any software
specifically for making sure erased data is truly earsed?  I'd rather do
that than have to format the disks and reinstall the software we want to
keep.