From: "Maze, Scott" <SxM9(--nospam--at)pge.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 12:52 PM
Subject: RE: TS MOMENT FRAME

We've full penned HSS sections using backing plates tack welded to the
inside of the tube, using a single bevel full pen.  In our case the tube was
big enough (6" x 6") to reach the rod in through the top for the tack weld
(I've also seeen the ironworkers put a bend in a stick of rod to make a
"blind" tack -- doesn't work too well with a feed gun).  We used four pieces
of fairly thick flat bar for backing, and radiused the ends to fit the
inside radius of the HSS.

I don't think there's any way to do it with a back gouge.  I'm sure somebody
out there knows of a way using robotic tooling, etc., but I don't think the
economics work out on that!

Hope that helps,

Scott Maze
Diablo Canyon Power Plant