RE: Concrete Crane Beam for 40ton Container Crane

Tripp:

My impression/assessment is similar to Scott's - I too thought that the
corrosion probably occurred first. Is this a sea water wharf or a fresh
water wharf?

If it is over sea water it's possible that the concrete has absorbed enough
chlorides to have lost its alkalinity, thus allowing corrosion due to the
damp environment.

If you do go for the repair route you would need to check that any concrete
that remains is sufficiently alkaline that it can continue to protect the
reinforcement. You can check the concrete pH with the phenolphthalein test,
and a series of tests on cores can provide the depth of contamination, and
thus the required thickness of concrete removal.

Repair materials are often prone to cracking (differential shrinkage, and
high strength of the repair material), so a protective coating might be
required.

Peter James