Re: TS MOMENT FRAME

>I've also had a fellow engineer tell me that a fabricator told him that you
>couldn't do a full pen weld of a TS section to a flat plate.  Is that true?
>I told him I hadn't heard of that before.
Technically true, but it depends a great deal on the welder's skill and
the process. It's almost impossible to completely guarantee that there's
complete penetration if the welder can't get to the back side of the weld
and backchip and lay a small pass on the back side of the original root
pass. Moreove some shops are reluctant to guarantee full penetration if
they can't see the backside of the completed weld. Good joint design and
fit up and careful welding will minimize burn-through and provide
effectively full penetration. This kind of weld is done on pressure
vessels and piping every day of necessity. I've seen welds made from one
side where the workmanship is exceptional. It's not easy but it's doable.

Welding has a lot of myths and can't-be-dones, some of which are true or
were once true. Others are just local options or preferences. The best
way to find out what really can't be done is getting to know as many
welders as you can.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw