RE: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Title: RE: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

It seems that checking the bolts and the welds and bearing on columns is relatively painless but how do you check block shear at the bolt holes on a shear plate that is loaded vertically and horizontally?

-----Original Message-----
From: Yousefi, Ben [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.sj.ca.us]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 8:30 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

Mark

You have received some good input so far. The only thing that I would add is
in regard to the actual bolt check. Once you establish the forces per
special load combination of section 1612.4, you will have a horizontal and
vertical component for the connection design. For bolt design, most of the
design examples that I have seen, ignore the eccentricity of the vertical
load w.r.t the centerline of the bolts. However, to account for this, if you
are using ASD, you could use the alowables per Table X of 1989 ASD. Then,
the horizontal capacity of the bolts can easily be determined by multiplying
the capacity of each bolt by the number of the bolts.

Now, since you are using the special load combination, you can multiply the
allowable load for each direction by 1.7 to the get to the strength level.
Next, you can do an interaction check by dividing the applied load for each
direction by the alowables you have calculated, squaring each term, and
comparing the summation with 1.0.

HTH

Ben Yousefi, SE
san Jose, CA