RE: Single Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure

My philosophy is that the code should have as little as is necessary -- but
no less (Einstein said something along those lines). The 1940s AWS welding
code used to have a statement "All welds shall be sound." and not much else.
That's too little. But we can point out a lot of cases where we have too
much, too.

In the case at hand (block shear for combined shear and tension loads),
there are probably other ways to go about it. I indicated previously that I
like an elliptical interaction approach. Alternatively, one could use Mohr's
circle, a combined stress and the von Mises criterion, FE analysis, or some
other rational criteria. In those cases, I think it makes more sense to
allow alternative approaches and engineering judgement.

We usually put stuff like this in the Manual (non-mandatory, but
standardized) as opposed to the Specification (building-code referenced,
mandatory). I'll pursue that direction.

Charlie