Re: Seismic bracing system- Knee-braced Frames

Well, this is a question I've been long delaying to pose to Charlie Carter, so thank you for raising it.  Just where do Knee-braced Frames get defined?  As far as I've been able to determine, there is no specific prohibtion to them, yet there is no category to which they seem to be assigned, nor (code) literature dealing with them.  R=??  Are the ductility requirements and detailing per eccentric braced frames?  If Special Trussed Moment Resisting Frames are allowed (to impose a concentrated force where the bottom chord meets the column) would the same be true for a KBF?   etc., etc. Opinions and guidance welcomed.  Thank you.

Ephraim G. Hirsch, S1200 (CA)