From: Kevin Below [mailto:kevin.below(--nospam--at)sympatico.ca]
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 5:54 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Live loads for seismic design

Why is live load completely ignored in seismic calculations, (except for
storage loads and tanks, at least here in Canada) ?  Is it because the
live load slides around and therefore imparts little inertial load on
the structure ?

How about a parking structure ?  Should the parked cars be considered as
non storage and ignored ?  I can't imagine they would slide around much
during an earthquake, except maybe in a good California shake.  I would
think that the live load should be considered for seismic design in a
parking structure.

How do others treat this ?

Kevin Below

---