RE: Live loads for seismic design

Kevin,

This is some speculation on my part, but here goes...

For parking structures, it would make sense to include the live load due
to the cars as that load more than likely will be present during a seismic
event.  My guess, however, is that cars are no included because they can
be thought of that have their own seismic base-isolation system included.
Since the cars would very likely be free to roll and move around during
the seismic event, it would seem logical that they could not develop
enough inertia force to contribute to the seismic loading of the parking
structure.

As I said...speculation on my part.

HTH,

Scott