Re: simple shear connection to column

Check the weight; then use the tube.  Presuming there are no loads other than
gravity, the W-section isn't even close, economically.  Additionally, single
plate connections can be achieved on all four sides w/o coping of the beams.

Watch for eccentric loading of the column due to uneven beams reactions on
opposite sides.

-Keith Fix, PE