Time between shotcrete lifts

I have a contractor who wants to use a 5'-0" high shotcrete lift and thinks
he needs to wait three hours between lifts to avoid sloughing. This seems to
mean to me that you need to detail a cold joint at each lift per UBC 1924.7.

I think if we stick with a 3'-0" lift and a MAXIMUM of 30 minutes between
lifts, then this should work satisfactorily.

Any experience or opinion on this?