Re: Seismic bracing system- Knee-braced Frames

Points well made.  KBF's are not K-braced frames or eccentric braced frames,
but in their own, as yet, undefined (AISC) category.  Also, they are not
necessisarily limited to PEMB's, but should be engineered on their own merit,
or demerit.  Your analogy of apples, oranges, and then pears is well taken,
as is the observation that the "triangle" formed by the brace, column, and
beam is analogous to a moment frame joint.  You are correct that the design
and detailing criteria must be well considered.  I await comment from Charlie
Carter.

Ephraim G. Hirsch, SE