IBC concrete anchor design

In section 1913.6.2.1 of the 2000 IBC, there is a factor Av used for
checking the concrete breakout strength in shear.  Item 4 in this
section says:

"Av is the projected area of the failure surface on the side of the
concrete member at its edge for a single anchor or group of anchors. It
shall be permitted to evaluate this area as the base of a truncated half
pyramid projected on the side face of the member where the top of the
half pyramid is given by the axis of the anchor row selected as
critical. The value of C1 shall be taken as the distance from the edge
to this axis."

I have no idea what they are trying to say here - I can't tell how wide
or deep this pyramid base is.

Can someone clarify this? I believe this section is being dropped from
the IBC in an upcoming ammendment, in favor of referencing of ACI
318-02. So, ACI 318-02 may explain this better, but I don't have a
copy.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC