Re: Cable Tension Force

I wonder if it is feasible to eliminate sag completely.

Cables carriying uniform load along its length (e.g. self weight) have shape of a catenery.

For a symmetrical cable, max. tension = w(S+c), where S is sag, w is weight of cable per unit length, c is solved from the equation of catenery: S+c = c cosh(a/c). Where a= half span.

Instead, if the cable is assumed parabolic, solution will be simpler.

 Oshin Tosounian <oshin(--nospam--at)kcematrix.com> wrote:

Does anyone have the formula to calculate the tension force in a cable to
keep it from sagging under its own weight handy?
I have a single span condition and a multiple span condition where the cable
is free to slide over the intermediate supports. The supports are at varying
heights.

Thanks in advance.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA