Re: PEMB document/review

It appears that the desired common industry terminology already exists.  A
review of the 2002 MBMA Metal Building Systems Manual reveals:

Section IV, Common Industry Practices: Defines Manufacturer, Contractor,
General Contractor, Erector, Builder, End Customer, Design Professional,
Order Documents, Contract Documents, and Construction Project.

Section V, Guide Specifications: Ready to insert data for your Project

Section X, Glossary: Provides 22 pages of defined terms.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                      MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)aol.com
                      12/09/02 09:28 AM        To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: PEMB document/review

All of the points that Paul made are very good.  That is what we need in
this discussion is basically some direction for ourselves and for the metal
building suppliers.  There are some things they could do that would make
their types of projects easier on all of us.

I know a common industry terminology would be a big help.  Some of the
terms I used in my document are used by Butler and some others, but not all
others.  I think we could easily nudge MBMA into adopting common
terminology over time.

I do see the document weak in delineating a "local supplier" versus a metal
building manufacturer/supplier.  That definitely needs to be written
better.   I refer to it in one or two places, but you can have a good
manufactured product put up by a poorly qualified local supplier and visa
versa.

The terminology of pre-engineered versus re-used engineering was my way of
showing how the industry has changed over the last 20 years.  But again,
the final words we decide on need to be consistent with us and MBMA, that
would be a big help.

Thanks for the comments.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL