RE: 2x4 stud walls in High Wind areas

What wind deflection criteria are you using? I would be tempted not to use the full wind load when checking for serviceability i.e. use a 30 or 10 year wind load instead of a 50 year wind and check it against L/360 or L/240 deflection.

Also, are you sure you are required to use Exposure C?

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Bingham [mailto:NickB(--nospam--at)QuadKnopf.com]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 11:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x4 stud walls in High Wind areas

I'm in 85mph exp C country and have a contractor wanting to build a home with 2x4 at 16" oc walls, with 10' plate height. I have about 550 plf down (DL plus snow). I can get close on the stress, but deflection is killing it, especially with a stucco finish. I'm getting the usual, " The last engineer I used had no problem with it". Contractors look table 23-IV-B in the '97 UBC and see that a 2x4 wall should go 10'  supporting one floor and the roof. I realize that this table does not apply in high wind areas, which I am in, and that it's the 85 mph wind that is killing the 2x4.

I'm looking for some input - have others found a way to get a 10' (plate to plate) 2x4 wall to figure?

Thanks!

Nick Bingham