Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

These are the "recommendations" to the code officials (i.e. UBC code) as
to what there should be using as the "requirements" for design of
structures subjected to seismic loading.  Thus, the reason that the SEAOC
Blue Book has traditionally be used as what has essentially always became
the seismic portion of the UBC code.  This is very similar to what happens
with the NEHRP Provisions EXCEPT that the SEAOC Blue Book has always (as
far as I recall) in mandantory language meaning it can directly be
adopted/copied into the UBC while the NEHRP Provisions must first be
"converted" into mandatory/code language.

In otherwords, strictly speaking SEAOC is writing code provisions
(requirements) that it wanted (recommended) to be taken and used in the
code that was used in California.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI